The Buttcrack Beatis
The Buttcrack Baetis is more than a funny named fly. It is a super effective emerging mayfly pattern created by Colorado’s Duane Redford. The technique used for adding an emerging foam wing is unique and pretty brilliant. The foam helps to keep this fly higher in the water column as an emerging mayfly would be. The Buttcrack Baetis is an excellent lead fly and a go to dropper under a range of dry flies. Tie them in a range of colors and sizes to help match the bug activity in your area.
The Buttcrack Beatis Ingredients & Recipe:
- Hook- Daiichi 1130
- Thread Body- Veevus 16/0 Olive Dun
- Tail – CDL Light Speckled Brown
- Rib – Small Copper Wire
- Wingcase – Razor Foam White
- Wing Bud – Flat Diamond Braid Pearl
- Thorax Dub – Superfine dubbing Olive
- Vise – Griffin Mongoose
- Dr. Slick Razor Hair Scissors
- Dr. Slick Bobbin
- Whip Finish – Dr. Slick Brass Whip Finish
Please let us know if you have any questions or feel free to drop a line in the comments. We would love to hear what you think about this pattern!