Created by Ralph Cutter this is a great option when fish get tired of seeing the good old standby Elk Hair Caddis. Properly named (EC for emergent/cripple) this fly is intended to imitate a caddis that is struggling to break the surface film on the water during its emergence. The propped up elk hair wing with hackle wrapped around it in a post method gives a really unique and life like look. This method also allows the elk hair and hackle to ride above the surface film while the main body of the fly can slip beneath. Making it a perfect imitation for when the caddis emergence is just breaking out of the water.
EC Caddis Recipe:
1) Hook – Tiemco TMC 102 Y
2) Thread – Uni 8/0 Olive
3) Abdomen Dub – Hareline Dubbin Dark Olive
4) Thorax Dub – Hareline Dubbin Caddis Green
5) Wing – Bleached Elk Hair
6) Legs – Keough Saddle Hackle Brown
7) Tail – Hareline Sparkle Emerger Yarn Light Olive
Tools used to create this fly:
1) Vise – Griffin Montana Mongoose
2) Scissors – Loon Micro Tip Arrow Point Scissors
3) Bobbin – Dr. Slick Ceramic Bobbin
4) Hair Stacker – Dr. Slick Aluminum Medium
5) Hackle Pliers – Stonfo Hackle Pliers Standard
6) Hackle Gauge – Griffin Hook and Hackle Gauge
7) Whip Finish – Dr. Slick Brass Whip Finish
Click here for all your other fly tying tools and gear. We stock a huge selection of over 4000 products of unique materials and fly tying equipment.We also ship for FREE on orders over $25 to the lower 48 US.
Please let us know if you have any questions or feel free to drop a line in the comments. We would love to hear what you think about this pattern!