How to tie The Duracell
This fly is worth having a selection of different sizes in your box. Created by Craig McDonald the fly packs a punch. On the jig, this fly snags up less and plummets into the fish feeding zone quickly. Wet or dry this fly is super buggy. Try fishing it off a tag under an indicator, on your euro set up, or as the bottom fly in your nymph rig. The UV brown ice dub has a great look and needs to be at your bench to incorporate other fly patterns. This is a fairly simple fly and gets the job done often.
Ingredients & Recipe
- Hook – Umpqua XT 500 Jig – 60 sz 14
- Bead – Slotted Firehole Tungsten 3.5mm
- Thread – UTC 70 Brown
- Ribbing – UTC Ultra Wire Red Brassie
- Dubbing- Hareline Ice Dub UV Brown
- Collar – Super Select CDC Brown
- Tail –Whiting Tailing Pack Dark Pardo
- Vise – Peak Rotary Vice
- Scissors – Loon Ergo Hair Scissors
- Bobbin – Loon Ergo Bobbin
- Whip Finish – Loon Ergo Whip finish
- Tool Kit – Loon Tool Kit
3 thoughts on “How to tie The Duracell”
One thing to note is that the Tail material on your Material List is incorrect. You are showing Brown CDC in the list but the tail is definitely Dark Pardo Coq de Leon in the video.
Thanks for the heads up! We’ve fixed this now.
I can attest that this is a great winter fly pattern although it was on someone else’s line and not mine. Maybe I just need to fish it more.