The X Caddis is a wonderfully simple pattern created by Craig Matthews. This fly is a great option when fishing the onset of a caddis hatch as it is intended to imitate a caddis that has broken free of its shuck with a full wing but still has the remains stuck to its body. If your classic Elk Hair isn’t working just yet this fly is probably the ticket.
X Caddis Ingredients/ Recipe List:
1) Hook – Tiemco 102Y
2) Tail – Sparkle Emerger Yarn Cream
3) Body – Superfine Dubbing Light Cahill
4) Wing – Comparadun Deer Hair Natural
5) Thread – Danville 140 Tan
Tools used to create this fly:
1) Vise – Griffin Montana Mongoose
2) Scissors – Rising Stellar Scissors
3) Bobbin – Tiemco Double Arm Bobbin Standard
4) Hair Stacker – Umpqua Dream Stream Hair Stacker Red
5) Whip Finish – Dr. Slick Bamboo Whip Finish
Click here for all your other fly tying tools and gear. We stock a huge selection of over 4000 products of unique materials and fly tying equipment.
We also ship for FREE on orders over $25 to the lower 48 US. Please let us know if you have any questions or feel free to drop a line in the comments. We would love to hear what you think about this pattern!